Thursday, February 25

My college essay

This is going to sound corny, but I kinda grew up idolizing many of these survivors. I was about 10 or 11 when Jerri was the ultimate bitch of her season (from what I've seen about Jerri, she actually seems to be a very nice woman who was largely misunderstood...or the victim of wonderful editing!!! H vs. V I think shows that more so than Australia and All-Stars did) and when Colby made the disastrous, yet courageous move, to bring Tina with him to the finals. And I could go on and on until Russel Hanz reinvented the villain of his season (last season's wonderful Samoa). And here I have my dirty confession to make:

For my college admissions essay, I decided to write about Survivor. As any close friends can attest, I basically live this show. As weird as it may sound, whenever I'm in a group of 8-10 people, hypothetical alliances come to mind and whenever I'm in a group and am the clear outsider, I think of strategies I could somehow spare elimination. Survivor is kinda like a pothead's pot or cigarette smoker's cigarette...I kinda need it in my life. Anyway, I wrote my college based on Survivor. I am usually judgemental about my work, but it was the best thing I've ever written. I won't share the details here b/c it was a very very very personal essay (more than I want the whole world to know) but it was basically a metaphor of Survivor to my life...it was full of the stages of the game where I described times I thought elimination was eminent only for life (aka my tribe mates) to change direction and save me for one more day. It was largely about not ever knowing what the hell was going on but just surviving one more day until I got to the final 2. In my essay, I ultimately lost the game (though I never distinctly said it)- it was important for me to lose something but still be proud of myself.

The reason why I share this is to kinda give a shout out to the 300+ survivors (especially Todd, who not only reminded me so much like myself but played a strategically flawless game...and clearly loved every second of it!) who not only basically got me into Brown (I have to thank Jeff and Mark Burnett too!) but also helped me get through really hard times in my life...anytime I felt down I thought of my dream to be on this show and prove to the many people (including often myself) who thought of me as too "divaish" or weak to be on the show and to maybe impact another fan like the contestants impacted me. So this is a corny post, but I thought it was necessary :)

No comments:

Post a Comment